From Nigellissima by Nigella Lawson
(Nigella’s original recipe is “Raspberry Vanilla Cream”)
2 free-range organic or pasteurized egg whites
1 ¼ cups (310 mL) heavy cream
½ cup superfine sugar
1 tsp Almond essence (or to your taste)
250 ml raspberries
250 ml strawberries, chopped
1–2 tablespoons (15–25 ml) chopped shelled, unsalted pistachio nuts
6 approx. 2/3-cup (160 ml) glasses
1. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl until they form soft peaks.
2. Pour the cream into another bowl, add the sugar and vanilla seeds, and whisk until this mixture, too, forms soft peaks. Fold the whisked egg whites gently into the vanilla cream to make your mousse.
3. Divide the berries among 6 glasses until just under half-full and dollop the vanilla mousse on top, until every glass is softly peaked.
4. Chill them in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes.
5. On serving, dust the tops with the ground or finely chopped pistachios.
I decided to substitute almond essence for vanilla to match the almond notes in some of the wines this week.
Here are the wines we thoroughly enjoyed on our South Africa and Related Wines Advanced Course.