From Matching Food and Wine by Michel Roux Jr
360gm wild mushrooms, such as field, bolet & chanterelle
1 tbsp butter
600ml white chicken stock
Salt and pepper
Juice of 2 lemons
180ml whipping cream
2 tbsp black olive paste (Tapenade)
Handful of basil, chervil and chives, roughly chopped
1. Clean the mushrooms, but avoid washing them unless it’s really necessary.
2. Cut them into big cubes, put in a saucepan with the butter and cook over a medium heat for 5mins. The mushrooms should give off some moisture and become soft.
3. Add the stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil.
4. Add the lemon juice after 5mins.
5. Blend the soup until smooth, pass through a sieve and cover.
6. Whisk the cream until it forms peaks and fold in the olive paste.
7. Divide the soup between the bowls and gently add the olive paste mixture to form a frothy cream top.
8. Sprinkle over the herbs and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Irony, (Pinot Noir), Russian River Valley, California, 2010
Macon-Villages AOC, (Chardonnay), Louis Jadot, Burgundy, France, 2010, MYR80
Pencarrow, (Pinot Noir), by Palliser Estate, Martinborough, New Zealand, 2011, MYR99