From 100 Perfect Pairings by Jill Silverman Hough
Serves 3 or 4
30 gms parmesan cheese
1 340gm pizza dough, homemade (recipe follows) or store-bought
1/2 cup pizza sauce, homemade (recipe follows) or store-bought
4 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press, or minced
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, about 120gms
About 24 thin slices pepperoni
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
Homemade Pizza Dough
1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp coarse kosher salt
Homemade Pizza Sauce
1 410gm can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp coarsely chopped oregano
1 tsp coarse kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1.Use a vegetable peeler to cut the parmesan into thick shaves (you should have about 1/3 cup). (You can shave your parmesan up to a day in advance, storing it covered in the refrigerator).
2. Preheat the oven, along with the pizza stone if you have one, to 260C.
3.On a lightly floured surface, roll or stretch the dough out to a 30 – 35cm round. transfer the dough to a pizza pan or a flour-or-cornmeal dusted pizza paddle. Top with the pizza sauce, garlic, mozzarella, pepperoni and parmesan. Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake until the pizza is golden and crisp, about 10-12 mins.
4. Sprinkle the pizza with the basil, cut into wedges, and serve.
Method: (Pizza Dough)
1. Place 2 tbsp of warm water (about 50C) in the bowl of an electric mixer that has a dough hook attachment. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and set aside for 15mins (the mixture might not get foamy).
2. Add the flour, salt and 1/2 cup of cool water. Use the dough hook to mix on medium-low speed for 4 mins. Let the dough rest for 5 mins, then mix again on medium-low for 3 mins. The dough should be smooth and slightly sticky.
3.Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, rolling it to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, let it sit at room temperature for about 30mins, the refrigerate it overnight. (You can prepare he dough in advance, storing it covered overnight in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for several months).
4. Return the dough to room temperature before using.
Method: (Pizza Sauce)
1.In the bowl of a food processor, combine the tomatoes (with their juices), tomato paste, garlic, vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and pulse to puree, scraping down the bowl as necessary. (You can prepare the pizza sauce in advance, storing it covered in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for up to several months.
2.Thaw in the refrigerator before using.